Pages

Recent Posts

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Sock Monkey Baby Shower

My little sister is pregnant with her first baby!
I threw her a baby shower this past Saturday. Planning this shower has been my life since November. I lived + breathed "Sock Monkey" for 5 months!

We decided to do a Sock Monkey theme because my sister LOVES monkeys!
Her entire guest bathroom is literally filled with them, I'm talking toilet seat cover, toothbrush holder....the whole deal! Her and her hubby are also doing a monkey theme in the nursery {of course}. I loved the color palette that we could do with a Sock Monkey themed shower...the red + chocolate brown + cream is such a modern palette compared to your old school baby blue.

I designed the invitation to fit a #10 envelope. I thought it was nice to see something that wasn't your typical 5x7.

It is safe to say that I probably bit off more {a lot more} than I could chew.
I had so many ideas and wanted to do all of them! I am really thankful for the late night craft session that went down at my place the weekend before. My mom, aunts and cousins came to the rescue!

I came across Sock Monkey sugar cookies in my search for all things Sock Monkey and I just HAD to make them! Now...please note that I have never worked with royal icing before and it was SO much harder than I anticipated. At one point I had a total melt down and said to my hubby "I HATE doing things that I'm not good at!" -haha.

However, I got through it and was pleased with their outcome even though most of the monkeys looked a little sad because there mouths kept running...making little frowns. I also decided to make them cookie "pops" which I had never done but they came out perfect.
{there were only a few casualties}

Our favors doubled as the center piece. The favors were "candy kabobs" -consisting of swedish fish and bulls eyes {I never knew they had a name....I just called them caramels with the icing middle}.

I decoupaged pots with different kinds of coordinating scrap book paper and we stuck the kabobs in the pots using floral foam. For added monkey-ness, I added big Sock Monkey cut-outs on skewers in the middle.

A few of my favorite things:

Super cute polka dot balloons that I found on amazon.

This HUGE stuffed Sock Monkey head that I actually found at Big Lots!

And my sister of course!
I am so excited for the arrival of my first nephew, Brody Alexander!
{Due April 20, 2011}


The Sock Monkey invitations are also now for sale in my Etsy shop!



7 comments: